So, the speech recognition experiment has ended for now. I caved in on Thursday. I’d been half-talking half-shouting at my laptop for most of the day and I finally had enough.
Microsoft’s speech recognition software for Vista and Windows 7 is just not up to the task. Even though it had had a good chance to get use to my voice, I had to talk to it in such a robotic manner than my own voice sounded alien to me and was a distraction.
And having to keep telling it to correct words was a pain as well. Basically, I finished typing the outline for The Melancholy of Agatha Sue by hand. And I’ve spent today redrafting it by using my hands to type.
I think if I’d gotten to scriptwriting stage and was still relying on speech recognition… I think I would have gone mad as I would have had to dictate to Notepad, copy that into Final Draft and then format everything.
I did film me trying to use the speech recognition software for part of one morning and I may edit it into a funny video. I was tricked by the software at one point when I was trying to get Final Draft to work with it.
And I’m still in pain with RSI. I think I may have to invest in Dragon before the year is out.